Image courtesy of Scott Chan / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
This is a question that haunts more people than you would think and that's not including the one that don't even know they fear it. The dread of doing well or being successful is rooted deep in the unconscious. The people who suffer from it most acutely are usually not aware they have it.
"People who have an unconscious fear of success won't set ambitious goals for themselves, so they achieve far less than they're capable of. And this is the tragedy of it, because ultimately it stops people from getting what they really want or even from asking for help." - James O'Connell, a psychologist at the outplacement firm Drake Beam Morin.
The Reason... Guilt? Negative Self Image?
"People will only achieve the level of success that their image of themselves can absorb," - Brian Schwartz, Psychologist.
How do we change that?
Anastasiya Goers, founder of Balance In Me says there are six ways to start thriving to overcome the fear of success.
1. Be positive - Goers says to stay away from negative people and to practice daily gratitude.
2. Remind yourself that you are part of something larger than you. - By doing the right things and helping people around you make being a good person a priority, and you know that this isn't just about you. This will give you the courage to try something new and believe that life is successful because of the doing, not the outcome.
3. Take time to find your authenticity. - Ask yourself. Do you know who you are? Do you know what makes you happy? Do you know your passions? Do you take time to reflect on your life? Goers suggests you you give yourself the luxury of 10 minutes a day of free time. I think you should give yourself more. Baby steps.
4. Create your success library. - Create your own personal library of quotes, videos, movies, books, save articles and success stories that inspire you. Goers says to turn to this library whenever you have self doubts.
5. Learn - Knowledge Is Power, my favorite quote. Learn what you want to be successful at and then keep learning.
6. Live in Balance - Success is not a destination. It's a journey, and it's important that we take each step feeling grounded and balanced.
I agree with Anastasiya, these are six great ways to start overcoming the fear of success. I think you need to go deeper to fully overcome the fear and in the next few weeks I'd like to explore and work on that but in the mean time you have to start somewhere and this is a good start.
Do you have a fear of success? Take the quiz at CNNMoney.com