There are seven characteristics of effective planning and goal setting says Charles Platkin PH.D.
Since my plan/goal is to do a ONE challenge a month for TWELVE months I thought I'd better follow these seven characteristics.
1. Specific: Be specific - Your goals should answer the questions how, when, where, and why.
2. Motivating: Pick a goal you are motivated to accomplish.
3. Achievable: Choose goals that are balanced, realistic, a set within an appropriate time frame.
4. Rewarding: The why. Understanding the why helps to establish an emotional connection to your goals that will help you through the rough times.
5. Tactical: Tactics involve setting a very detailed plan of action. Think ahead and plan it out.
6. Evaluated: Keep a personal journal (or blog post). Evaluate if you're on the right track.
7. Revisable: If something is not working, you need to be able to revise the culprit. Also things change, you need to be able to update your goal without throwing it out the window all together.